Re: policy regarding redistributable binary files in upstream tarballs

> Could you include some information about the upstream you are talking
> about and the specific files you are concerned about?

I am talking about this bug:

The package has a lintian override that I suggested, on the grounds that the
incriminated file doesn't go inside a .deb package.

I am neither upstream or Debian maintainer for the package, but I have sent
some patches to both.

The minified javascript file mentioned in the bug is completely ignored in
Debian. It is replaced with a soft link and a dependency.

I don't think upstream would remove these minified javascript files, because
they would need a more complex build process and more dependencies. The files
are just used to do an "HTML export", so they are just copied inside a
directory when the HTML export is done, so I think that to convince them to
build them, we would need very strong arguments. Consider that they support
windows and mac as well, so they'd need their build process to work on these
platforms.

--
Salvo Tomaselli

"Io non mi sento obbligato a credere che lo stesso Dio che ci ha dotato di
senso, ragione ed intelletto intendesse che noi ne facessimo a meno."
                -- Galileo Galilei

                http://ltworf.github.io/ltworf/