Re: policy regarding redistributable binary files in upstream tarballs

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> Upstreams that want to cater to end-users can distribute prebuilt
> binary packages separately, in separate branches, zip/tarballs, binary
> packages or "app" installers.

You'll get no disagreement from me on that.

But a growing number of upstreams disagree, so those upstreams are
likely to be actively opposed to your recommendation to patches which
remove non-source files from the VCS repository.

How to resolve that? I don't know. But it will entail a change of
workflow, not merely patches submitted.

--
 \        “[It's] best to confuse only one issue at a time.” —Brian W. |
  `\  Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie, _The C programming language_, 1988 |