Re: Being part of a community and behaving

On 11/17/2014 at 12:12 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Anthony Towns writes ("Re: Being part of a community and behaving"):

>> The bug referenced as "[1]" above was #756076 which was set as
>> grave on 18th September, with a fix developed upstream on the 5th
>> Nov, which was then uploaded to Debian on the same day (by Martin
>> Pitt):
>
> This seems to be a different question.  The criticism here would be
> that TC decision was technically incorrect, because at the time we
> voted (or at least at the time we called for votes) #756076 was
> still outstanding and ought to have been a blocker for changing the
> dependencies ?
>
> My understanding is that installing systemd-shim and indeed
> cgmanager is supposed to be harmless under systemd.  So while
> swapping the dependencies would mean that some users who are going to
> be using systemd would get cgmanager installed, cgmanager would not
> (by default) be started, and those users would therefore not
> experience #756076.
>
> Therefore ISTM that #756076 was not a reason not to swap the
> dependencies.

My understanding is that the systemd maintainers' objection to swapping
the dependencies was not about what would happen to users who are
running systemd-sysv, but what would happen to users who are *not* -
that they felt that automatically switching people from sysvinit-core to
systemd-sysv was preferable to automatically giving them a
known-partially-broken configuration based on systemd-shim and
cgmanager.

Again, if that's not correct, I'd be interested to be corrected on that
point.

--
   The Wanderer