Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Hi,

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> > That said I did consider that side of it too, but I'm having a hard
> > time thinking of an example where you would actually care about
> > ordering the tags for some task.  Do you have one that comes to mind?
>
> The BTS needs it: it is the very base of version-aware bug state tracking.
> It builds the DAG by combining the DAGs extracted from the Debian changelogs
> of each branch of the package, AFAIK.

Sure, but tags only *represent* version numbers. The _real_ version number
is at the top of debian/changelog; if you want that, or an ordered list,
you read that file. Or you incrementally update your state by reading
.changes files.

If we ever implement the crazy(?) idea to feed our builders and the BTS
directly from git, it'll presumably do this by reading the debian/changelog
files in it, not by scanning tags which may or may not correspond to an
actual source upload.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs