Re: Being part of a community and behaving

On Thu, 2014-11-13 at 13:39 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Patrick Ouellette <pouelle@debian.org> writes:
>
> > We do tell users of Debian what to do - that's part of the problem right
> > now.  We told the users they will switch init systems, and a large
> > portion (or at least a vocal portion) don't want to.
>
> Well, no, we didn't.  We said that there would be a different default,
> which is not the same thing.  The project hasn't made a decision about
> switching, and also, at present, sysvinit is still fully supported (modulo
> the normal pre-release bugs).

See #765803. That bug report is about making the user aware of/alerted
to an init switch when upgrading, nothing else. And that issue has not
yet been resolved by the ctte, due to the GR. Hopefully when the GR
result is published, the ctte can decide on this. (assuming the outcome
is a non-gr issue? what happens if not?)

> Ah, see, I also believe this, which is exactly why I'm so upset about the
> current GR.  The proposed GR (the first option) is exactly about
> overriding the normal practice that the package without a maintainer loses
> by default, and about *forcing* the people who aren't using sysvinit to
> work on maintaining it.  This is one of the fundamental divisions in the
> project right now.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but my interpretation is _not_ the above?
Ian?