Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Hi,

>> I think the only workflow that newcomers and NMUers should be required
>> to learn is the one that involves quilt, they should not be expected to
>> learn (e.g.) dgit in addition. [...]
>
> I certainly don't think people should be expected to learn dgit in
> addition to other tools.  I am trying to get to the point where
> 1. they can learn dgit _instead_ of _all_ other tools[1]  2. no-one else
> needs to know that this is going on unless they decide to start using
> dgit too.

I whole-heartedly agree - I still think quilt is obscure, and since I
only maintain few packages with little upstream activity, I doubt I will
ever learn it enough to stop reading the manpage each time I need it. On
the other hand, git is already widely known in the open source and free
software community. So being able to use dgit and nothing else, would
significantly reduce the barrier of entry. Once there is a version that
DMs can use, I'll give it a try :)

Kind regards,
Ralf