Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Le 12/11/2014 12:25, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2014, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
>> I see nothing about whether the debian branch should contained the
>> unpacked or the unpacked *and* patched sources, and whether to ship the
>> .pc directory.
>
> That's a volunteer choice at this stage. We have different workflows
> that are worth supporting and they differ at this level of details.

Dear Raphaël,

I see that some people feel very strongly that the source should be in
patch-applied state. Some tools require it. I am very strongly of the
opposite opinion (for reasons detailed below). You are right that this
DEP should not mandate one over the other (actually this DEP is a "best
practices" document, so strictly speaking it doesn't mandate anything).

However, we should perhaps strongly recommend that this choice be
documented in debian/README.sources.

Not that it's very relevant, to each his own, but since I see advocacies
for the patch-applied state. I'm not trying to convince anyone, but here
is why I chose patch-unapplied:

We have a very nice source package format with "3.0 (quilt)". In this
format, we simply have the pristine upstream source, with an additional
debian directory that contains all the packaging stuff. Features are
nicely separated as feature patches.

I think the only workflow that newcomers and NMUers should be required
to learn is the one that involves quilt, they should not be expected to
learn (e.g.) dgit in addition. Also, we need to document the
debian/patches à la DEP3. So the way our modifications to the upstream
source are stored should be in debian/patches/, independent on whether
we use the tar.gz archives or svn or git.

If these modifications are stored already in debian/patches,
representing them also in git in the upstream code is a pointless
duplication of the same information. With the patch-unapplied scheme, I
can do:
  git diff upstream master
and check that there is nothing changed above the debian/ directory.

Likewise, I can do
  git diff debian/1.0.0-1 debian/1.0.0-2
and check the changes that will be represented in the source package.

So to me, the patch-unapplied scheme is easier to understand and less
error prone.

Kind regards, Thibaut.