Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 05:05:31PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 08:47 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > No. Systemd is the default init system. The default dependencies should
> > > reflect that.

> > No, the default dependencies should reflect the *principle of least
> > surprise*.  Installation of logind causing your init system to be changed if
> > you have already selected a non-default init system in jessie is failing
> > this principle.

> > The selection of default init system should be done via the Essential
> > packages *only*.

> In that case, perhaps the alternate init systems should Recommend
> systemd-shim?

No, that's not the true package relationship.  There's no reason that you
should always get this added service by default when you install a system
with non-systemd init that doesn't need logind.  Making this a recommends
would be a workaround for bad metadata in the libpam-systemd package; we
should fix that problem at its source the right way.