Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 02:57:16PM +0200, Margarita Manterola wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 9:43 AM, envite <envite@rolamasao.org> wrote:
>> > Does this Cinnamon for Debian include systemd ?
>>
>> Yes, for Linux it includes systemd.  For kFreeBSD it should be able to
>> work without systemd, but some packages haven't compiled yet due to
>> missing dependencies.
>
> If Cinnamon can work without systemd, why is it a hard dependency?

TL;DR `sudo apt-get install systemd-shim`

You are mistaken, it is not. What I suspect happened is that something
depended on logind (libpam-systemd) and libpam-systemd depends on
"systemd-sysv | systemd-shim". This means that systems will have their
init system switched even if unneeded unless they predict the issue or
track down the dependency tree, then learn they have to install
systemd-shim (which does not exist on Wheezy, so you will have to
install systemd-sysv then another init after the upgrade). This bug
has been reported and marked as WONTFIX for reasons that have not been
fully explained (it is claimed people with init=/lib/systemd/systemd
in their kcmdline will experience breakage due to systemd-shim
conflicting with systemd-sysv, however this is actually not likely at
all according to the shim maintainer).

Best,
--
Cameron Norman