Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing

On 09/05/2014 at 04:57 AM, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> Noel Torres wrote:
>
>> So we are clearly failing to follow the least surprise (for the
>> user) path.
>>
>> Should not logind depend on systemd-shim | systemd-sysv instead?
>
> No. Systemd is the default init system. The default dependencies
> should reflect that.

Is there any clear consensus on what it means to be the "default" in
this context?

There are multiple possible meanings, and I think some of the disputes
which have arisen may be rooted at least partly in disagreement about
which of those meanings applies.

One possible meaning would be "the init system which will be installed
as active by the default debian-installer, unless the user explicitly
selects otherwise". By itself, that would not mean that package
dependencies should necessarily prefer systemd over any other init
system, though there might be reasons in some cases for doing them
differently anyway - such as, in the case at hand, avoiding causing
people to switch from one init system to the other without realizing
what they're doing or how to avoid doing it.

Another possible meaning would be "the init system which is recommended
to be used unless there is active reason to do otherwise", which is a
stronger statement. That would indeed more support the idea that package
dependencies should prefer systemd over other init systems, though
again, there might be reasons in any given case for doing them
differently.

There may well be other potential meanings - I think I've run across at
least one more in the past - but that should serve as examples, at
least.

Would it be worth clarifying what the participants in this discussion
(and possibly similar ones) understand "default" as meaning in the
context of "default init system for jessie", and possibly clarifying
that more officially on a broader scale for future reference?

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.