Re: Jessie without systemd as PID 1?

I'm sure we've been over this many times already.

On 03/09/14 13:24, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
>  If so, can I just run: `apt-get install sysvinit-core` to get rid of
> systemd as my INIT?

Yes.

>  If yes, will this be support until... Let's say, Debian kFreeBSD still
> remains around...?

That's up to the sysvinit and systemd-shim maintainers and how well they
can keep those packages working. If systemd-shim ceases to be a viable
alternative way to run systemd-logind, then you might lose other
packages as a result of this dependency stack:

     (stuff that needs logind) -> libpam-systemd -> systemd-sysv |
                                                    systemd-shim

(as part of the general principles of "things that don't work get
dropped" and "things that depend on particular functionality should
depend on the package providing that functionality")

If your system doesn't contain anything that needs systemd-logind, then
that dependency stack doesn't exist on your system.

>  Also, why not have a system like "/etc/alternatives", or
> "dpkg-reconfogure alt-init" (just like "dpkg-reconfigure gdm/kdm")

Because not all of the alternatives are equally technically suitable for
everything. With alternatives, there would be no way to express the
dependency relationship "package foo really does need systemd to be pid
1" (or conversely, "foo needs sysvinit-core to be pid 1", which should
probably be the case where e.g. foo = rcconf).

Currently that's spelled like "foo Depends: systemd-sysv"; but if
systemd-sysv and sysvinit-core were co-installable, and you had
systemd-sysv and sysvinit-core installed and sysvinit-core selected to
provide the alternatives, then the dependency would be satisfied, but
foo wouldn't work.