Re: Jessie without systemd as PID 1?

Hi Steven,

On  So 31 Aug 2014 02:20:08 CEST, Steven Chamberlain wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 10:46:28 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
[...] only way to do that now is to install with the installer, getting
systemd-sysv as PID 1, and later install sysvinit-core, systemd-shim
etc?

I've been dreaming of #758116 (allowing to select Debian Blends
selection during installation) and having as one of the options, a new
Blend perhaps called "Debian alt-init", with one of more 'flavours' that
each would install an alternative init system and its dependencies.

That would happen after d-i has already installed the base system,
including systemd packages, but the idea is that those would be removed
before the installed system is booted for the first time.

Could it really be this simple?  Is anyone crazy enough to help make
this happen?  And a sponsor who could help with an ITP?  I've put
together the beginnings of a Blends package here, completely untested
yet but just in the hope of maybe getting something started:
http://pyro.eu.org/debian/pool/main/d/debian-altinit/

Thanks,
Regards,

as I am currently working on a thinclient environment for X2Go which needs such an alt-init approach beyond wheezy, I will be happy to help-out with sponsoring and testing.

Greets,
Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM