Re: systemd now appears to be only possible init system in testing

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:42:16AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

> > For the specific case of a change that makes basic desktop functions
> > unusable between upgrade and reboot (including the "reboot" button
> > itself), the right answer is "until it's ready, and if you want it
> > sooner then help."

> I continue to be baffled by people's apparent belief that this happening
> during a major upgrade is some sort of regression.  Having those buttons
> not work after a major component upgrade, until the X session was
> restarted, has been typical behavior for as long as I've been using Debian
> with a desktop environment.

The distinction is between having to restart your *session* and having to
restart your *system*.  The systemd/logind issue introduces a requirement
for the latter, which /is/ a regression.

I can't imagine how anyone can simultaneously hold the view that Debian
should use systemd for improved integration with end-user-targeted desktop
environments, and believe that Debian should leave these end users grubbing
around on the console to do something as fundamental as rebooting their
system after upgrade.