systemd now appears to be only possible init system in testing

I just tried updating testing on my system.  I currently use
sysvinit-core (reasons below), but aptitude is telling me that I
should remove this in favour of systemd-sysv.  Hmm, why is that?
Well, because the new version of libpam-systemd, 208-6, now depends on
systemd-sysv rather than systemd-sysv | systemd-shim.  OK, so I'll
remove libpam-systemd.  Ooops - that looks pretty disastrous, as so
much depends on it, so that's not an option: gdm3, gnome-bluetooth,
network-manager, policykit-1, udisks2.

So I would presume that for many or most Debian systems, systemd is
now required, and no other /sbin/init providers will work.  I'm
unclear whether this was a deliberate policy decision or an unintended
consequence of various package requirements.

For me, this is a killer, as I still do not know how to solve the
problem I asked a while back on debian-user
(https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/04/msg01286.html): in
summary, I need to unlock an encrypted filesystem during boot time by
asking for a password to feed into encfs.  But I cannot figure out how
to do this under systemd.

Answers to this question would also be much appreciated!

   Julian