Re: let missing-debian-source-format lintian tag be a warning!

Hi!

On Tue, 2014-07-15 at 18:39:14 -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > It would be nice, however, to have a way to specify the alternate behavior in
> > a consistent reliable way (meaning something I can put in the package when I
> > add source/format).
>
> Archive consistency is far more important than individual maintainer
> preference about this behavior.  People that work on lots of different
> packages deserve dpkg-source to act consistently across the entire
> archive.

Exactly. I don't have any intention to change the current dpkg-source
default behavior in that regard.

> This would be far better solved with a system conffile of some sort
> like /etc/dpkg/dpkg-source.cfg, which admittedly doesn't exist yet.

But sure, that (and its $HOME counterpart) is a good idea and is
something I'll be adding (possibly for 1.17.12) when also adding
config file support for dpkg-buildpackage.

Coincidentally I've actually been looking very recently into cleaning
up the command-line parsing code in dpkg-source to make, for example,
--help output all format specific options, which I'll have to fix
anyway to not output pestering warnings when using format specific
options from a config file on the “wrong” source format. Arguably the
problem exists already today, if one wants to use the same options w/o
knowing what source format is being unpacked.

Thanks,
Guillem