Re: Sources licensed under PHP License and not being PHP are not distributable

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 02:45:07PM -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Steve Langasek's message of 2014-06-30 14:39:03 -0700:
> > On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 02:22:22PM -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > > Excerpts from md's message of 2014-06-26 16:54:11 -0700:

> > > https://www.debian.org/social_contract

> > > Specifically, we won't hide problems and Debian will remain 100% free.

> > > Unless I'm mistaken, the wording in the PHP license makes it invalid for
> > > anybody that isn't actually the PHP project to use without making a
> > > false claim that "THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE PHP DEVELOPMENT
> > > TEAM".

> > > It is also GPL incompatible due to restrictions it places on the
> > > licensee's activities and the word PHP.

> > PHP as a whole is GPL-incompatible and this won't change; and GPL
> > compatibility is a non-issue for interpreted languages.  So this last bit
> > isn't really relevant here.

> This is about extensions, so it is entirely likely that extensions want
> to link to GPL and LGPL libraries where PHP itself does not.

It's not LGPL incompatible, it's only GPL incompatible.

And yes, there are PHP extensions that are not distributable in binary form
because of this license.  But relicensing *the extension* changes nothing
about this, they are *still* not redistributable as part of Debian because
they're linking GPL code into PHP which is and will remain GPL-incompatible.