Re: Sources licensed under PHP License and not being PHP are not distributable

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 09:27:10PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > I have discussed this with ftp-masters and release team before
> > filling the bugs, arguing heavily in disagreement with ftp-master's
> > REJECT FAQ - the PHP License REJECT is there since 2005.

> Hi Ondrej,

> sorry for not having answered your email on debian-legal despite agreeing
> with your point of view.  Given my long history of fighting with the FTP
> team, I was worried that my opinion would count peanuts or even have the
> opposite effect as intended.

> This said, while the PHP license is definitely a poor choice for software
> that is not produced by the PHP group, I do not see how it can make the
> software unredistributable.

Agreed.  There is nothing in these licenses that makes the software
undistributable; it just requires the distributor to attach *false
statements* to it as part of distribution.

I have no objection to the ftp team's decision to treat this as an automatic
reject on this basis - I don't think a license that requires us to make
false statements is suitable for main - but it's wrong to claim that these
works are undistributable.