Re: Sources licensed under PHP License and not being PHP are not distributable

Hi,

Steve Langasek:
> Ah good, argumentum ad populum, I was getting sick of Debian having
> principles anyway.

The point is that absolutely nobody else seems to be interested in this
strange licensing situation. Debian itself had the "problem" for YEARS and
nobody noticed.

Thus, reality check #3: This license contains some strange terms that make
it look like it doesn't really apply to the software it's distributed with,
but QUITE OBVIOUSLY the author of the software in question thought other-
wise, and there is no actual legal problem (nobody else is complaining
about the license, much less threatening to revoke permissions, much less
suing somebody).

Thus², while we're in a reasonably good position to convince Upstream to
fix that problem, filing RC bugs and thus making PHP unuseable in Debian
is certainly going to be regarded as typical Debian principles-above-all
overkill but unlikely to be helpful to anybody.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs