Re: SV: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

On Sb, 28 iun 14, 21:42:47, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU dixit:
>
> >Yes, I know everything in Debian is a package, but APT *is* the master
> >of all packages :p
>
> Wrong:
>
> • dpkg (directly or via dselect) does not use APT’s system
>   (well, not necessarily, anyway)

You're not seriously suggesting dpkg would "sneak" a package on your
system behind your back, do you?

> • aptitude has been known to ignore the view dpkg/apt have
>   on the system, e.g. wrt. held packages, for ages

Which is why the conflicting package solution is suboptimal, but a pin
works:

    # LANG=C aptitude install bad-package
    No candidate version found for bad-package
    No candidate version found for bad-package
    No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 32 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

Kind regards,
Andrei