Re: SV: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

On Sat, 2014-06-07 at 13:20 +0000, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi Gunnar,

> The new LONG_DESCRIPTIONs start with:
>
> """
>   The MATE Desktop Environment is the continuation of GNOME 2. It provides an
>   intuitive and attractive desktop environment using traditional metaphors for
>   Linux and other Unix-like operating systems.
>   .
>   MATE is under active development to add support for new technologies while
>   preserving a traditional desktop experience.

Kudos to all MATE developers, it is like back in the good old (gnome2)
days, and better :-) xfce (or any gnome3 version) is no longer an
alternative.

I even managed to get a working desktop without systemd or systemd-sysv:
The only problem was to find a version of policykit-1 not depending on
*systemd* and found one: Version 0.105-3.

The other two are dependant:
Version: 0.112-2: libsystemd-login0 (>= 31), systemd
Version: 0.105-6: libsystemd-login0 (>= 31), libpam-systemd

Are there any chances that some version of policykit-1 could stay free
from any *systemd* dependency? Alternately, are there any hopes on a
replacement package for mate-policykit not depending on policykit-1?

I strongly recommend the systemd-must-die package to prevent systemd
components being installed when dist-upgrading without the user being
aware.