Re: SV: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

Hi,

Norbert Preining:
> > http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=systemd-sysv+upstart+openrc&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=2014-01-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1
>
> Unfair - because it is in the most cases not on free will.
> Everyone using Gnome - and that are a lot of users - got that
> automatically.

Exactly.

Apparently, 10% of popcon submitters use testing/unstable:
http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=systemd-sysv+sysvinit-core&show_vote=on&show_recent=on&want_percent=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=2014-01-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

Of these, roughly 20% have switched to systemd. And they apparently did not
and do not have any problem with it, otherwise we'd hear about it. Here and
other places. Quite loudly.

> How do you come that this is a sign of *winning*?

This is not a war. This is not about winning. This is about providing our
users, and ourselves, with the best software we have (or can write) to get
the job done.

systemd works. It may not be perfect, but it's a whole lot less non-perfect
than the alternatives. IMHO.

You may not agree. That's OK. But the point where your disagreement *per*se*
is of any relevance, or in fact interest, to the rest of the community …
sorry, but that point is long past.

You don't see the k*BSD or Hurd people complain on -devel that Debian is
all about Linux and how our changes cause some random software to stop
working on their system, do you?
There's a reason for that: Debian is not. All about Linux, that is.

However, our focus _is_ on Linux. Fact of life. We don't exclude *BSD/Hurd,
but providing patches for their usecases is *their* problem, not the rest of
the Debian community's.

Same thing with upstart/openrc vs. systemd. People who doesn't want systemd
on their machine need to provide patches to get the job done some other way
– or do without. It's not the rest of the community's problem any more.

Live with it. Or, if I may be blunt about it, GTFO.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs