Re: mirror.debian.net down?

Hi,

On 16/05/14 00:00, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
> I'm guessing the gb.* lookups are mostly you.  The au.* lookups are DSA.
>
> That leaves somebody looking up nl*.  You and he/she might be the last users of
> this zone.

Why did you discount the fr., it. and us. queries?

nl.arm. does not seem to resolve any more (maybe it really does mean old
pre-squeeze ABI so is not on the mirrors now anyway),

> I don't think this level of traffic (the TTL is 10m) justifies the maintenance
> of this zone by either the mirror team (who don't want it ) or DSA (who don't
> want to maintain it).

If that's your position then I can't ask you to do otherwise.  I've
always thought it was a good design with certain advantages over
http.debian.net [1][2][3] and even easier to use than looking through
the list of mirror sites.

Thanks Luca for re-checking the popularity of the zone.  It seems
sufficiently low that I don't object to its complete removal.

Thanks also Raphael for offering to handle this traffic but it seems
unnecessary now.

[1]: mirror.debian.net was very decentralised due to DNS's nature;  if
using your ISP's resolvers perhaps all traffic would be within your
country;  http.debian.net is somewhat bottlenecked by the HTTP
redirector[s] (currently just one, in Germany)

[2]: mirror.debian.net's RRSETs allow automatic (without running apt-get
again) retrying from other mirrors depending on their reachability
*right now* from *your* network;  periodic monitoring by http.debian.net
may take other routes

[3]: mirror.debian.net's URIs don't change, allowing caching proxies to
work very effectively;  if http.debian.net uses permanent HTTP redirects
and those are cached, it could 'pin' to a bad host after it goes down
[and the target object may have been evicted from cache];  not caching
the redirect would mean URIs change and cache hit ratio is much lower as
a result

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain