Re: mailman3 in Debian [was Re: Alioth tracker]

On Mon, May 12, 2014 17:00, Clint Adams wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 10:02:35AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> I don't have time to work on Alioth, but JFTR, we (the GNU Mailman
>> development team) recently announced the first full-suite beta release
>> for Mailman 3. It's possible that even with the usual beta-quality
>> issues, that MM3 would make a decent mailing list framework for this
>> Debian use case.  It has some interesting features that might make
>> integration easier, and I would be highly motivated to help others adapt
>> and extend MM3 for Debian's use.
>
> Are there plans to upload packages to experimental?

Some considerations on behalf of the current "Mailman for Debian" 'team'
which maintains the mailman 2.x packages in Debian.

The current mailman 2.x packaging is dated and in maintenance mode,
updating to the infrequent new upstreams of this branch and fixing the
occasional bug, and having not much manpower to do much else.

Mailman 3 is completely different from Mailman 3 and I see no synergy in
basing anything on the existing package. As of now, to my knowledge no
migration or upgrade scenarios exist from MM 2 to MM 3, and I'm not sure
if such code will be there in time for jessie. It would therefore make
most sense to me if MM 3 packaging was started fresh with a new mailman3
package, allowing for both MM3 and the legacy release to coexist while MM3
matures. When reliable upgrade or migration scenarios exist, the mailman3
package could take over the mailman package, but I expect that to be the
case only after jessie.

People interested in MM 3 are therefore very much invited to just start
packaging it under the mailman3 name, in any way they judge best.

Cheers,
Thijs