Re: Alioth tracker

On 08/05/14 12:27, Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is someone processing the items on the Alioth tracker?
>
> There are currently 184 reuqests open, some trivial requests already
> since two years (like [1]).
>
> I filed a ticket there a month ago, and still did not get any
> response yet.
>
> What is the reason that the processing there is so slow? Is there a way
> to change that?
>
> Also, although alioth is an official Debian server (right? It has .org
> suffix), it does not use the Debian bug system, but its own ticket
> system. I asked that already some time ago, and got the recommendation
> to ask that on alioth directly. However, since the response time there
> is so long, I doubt that there will be a discussion about this.

Other people have had problems with alioth too:

- write permissions on VCS directory for new projects

- mailing list creation requests waiting for admin approval

On non-Debian sites (e.g. Sourceforge, github) things like this are
fully automated (for better or worse).

For mailing lists:
- could list creation be fully automated if they are on a debian.net
subdomain?
- could all DDs be given rights to approve alioth.d.o mailing list
creation (with a dispute process for any controversial approvals)?

For repositories:
- would moving to a single tool (e.g. Git) make it easier to automate
and help to eliminate the bugs we currently see on alioth?
- could we have a debian.org solution (alioth or elsewhere) that
automatically mirrors all Git repositories that DDs maintain themselves
on github or other public locations?

Any of these things could help reduce the admin burden, maybe there are
other approaches too?