Re: systemd-fsck?

On 09/05/14 17:22, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I think we need some sort of critical debconf prompt here for the jessie
> release, similar to how we handled the change of /bin/sh to dash and how
> we handled the switch to startpar.  Probably in systemd-sysv, which is the
> package that forces the conversion.

To be able to do that, I think the packaging of sysvinit and/or
systemd-sysv would have to change. systemd-sysv only seems to contain
symlinks, which are files in the .deb at the moment, but could change to
being shuffled around by maintainer scripts; but sysvinit-core (formerly
sysvinit) contains real files in the .deb, so systemd-sysv Conflicts and
Replaces it.

It might actually be nicer to move the real sysvinit binaries to a
non-conflicting location in sysvinit (or a new non-Essential
sysvinit-bin or something, if it's desirable to keep the Essential
sysvinit package as a metapackage depending on any supported pid 1
implementation), and have both sysvinit-core and systemd-sysv consist
entirely of symlinks. That would let cautious systemd users keep the
sysvinit binaries around, and boot with init=/usr/lib/sysvinit/init if
something went horribly wrong with systemd.