Re: standalone logind (Re: Bits from the systemd + GNOME sprint)

Hi,

Kevin Chadwick:
> > * last but not least: if you do have a tangible reason for your post, i.e.
> >   one of your packages doesn't work with the way systemd is packaged,
> >   kindly tell us which package that is and what you're trying to do.
>
> My first mail stated it.

Did not. See below.

> Why do you question it.

Because I do not share your opinion.

> Look at all the tasks mentioned in the logind man page some of which are
> unneeded and complex and will have affects upon security.

… which are …?

Like systemd in general, I question your assertion that splitting
logind into separate programs has any effect other than needlessly
increasing complexity. Now you have at least two programs whose services
are necessary (or at least damn convenient) to have on a normal Debian
system; also, these might need to talk to each other, above everything else
they do -- so you get to debug two interacting asynchronous processes
instead of one single-threaded one.

Also: s/programs/packages/g s/talk to/depend on/
      s/asynchronous/interdependent/ s/single-threaded/standalone/.

Also, while you mentioned that it does unnecessary things, you did not
state which of these you consider unnecessary. Sorry, but, that's like
ranting about how that <country> or <spouse> spends too much money:
I may or may not agree with you -- but until you state specifically what
you'd like to see cut ("reduce the 'defense'/'clothes' butget" is not
specific enough, and neither was your statement), there can be no
meaningful discussion.

As I'd like to keep d-devel civil (and mostly-technical), I will stop here.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs