standalone logind (Re: Bits from the systemd + GNOME sprint)

Am 04.05.2014 00:55, schrieb Matthias Urlichs:
> Hi,
>
>>> 212 was released in March. Why not package that?
>>
> Not having been there, I would guess that packaging 208 had already begun
> before the sprint, and thus should be completed and reasonably bug-free
> before going forward to yet another version with (probably) its own issues.

Something like that. We had already begun work on v208 and we wanted to
get this release out as soon as possible. It would have been unlikely to
get v212 ready as part of the sprint as we had a lot of other topics on
the plate as well.

Why did we want to get v208 out? Because it contains the reworked cgroup
handling which as a consequence means that a standalone logind needs
systemd or an equivalent cgroup manager for creating and managing the
cgroup hierarchies.
The current version of systemd-shim doesn't provide that
functionality/those interfaces (yet).

Anyone interested in keeping standalone logind working is invited to
help the systemd-shim maintainer to implement and test this
functionality (it will most likely be using cgmanager for that as far as
I heard). Having v208 out is a prerequisite for being able to test those
changes in systemd-shim.

We are certainly planning on having something newer then v208 for
jessie, some preliminary work has already been done for v212.

Cheers,
Michael