Re: standalone logind (Re: Bits from the systemd + GNOME sprint)

previously on this list Matthias Urlichs contributed:

> The second case is a no-brainer. Many packages in Debian consist of more
> than one binary, of which you need at most one (if that). Do you really
> want to mass-file a bug against all of these _and_ the packages depending
> on them, or are you picking on systemd for non-technical reasons here?
>
> Sorry, but I suspect the latter.

Why did I expect any reasonable and balanced discussion! I suspect
but haven't mentioned that I expect the reasons for bundling these
components together to be on highly questionable grounds.

Something like avahi-daemon can be easily understood as what it is
needed for and whilst I would like to remove it I can simply disable the
service without any consideration as I know I have no use for it even
if I use cups meaning an increases in security without any
functionality loss for our users.

Things like coreutils are used but not resident. With systemd-services
knowing what it is doing is more important and being able to avoid
complex resident code with minimal sacrifice should be possible.

You could easily argue that just logind does far more in one binary
than it should for reasonable system management never mind it being
bundled with other especially potentially widely used functions like
systemd-localed. After a quick look at the script I guess aptdaemon only
needs localed.

I guess there is no unlaborious way to see which programs depend on a
particular binary of a given package?

GDM can be easily avoided or uninstalled for example if you have no
need for logind and perhaps there are alternatives for any others but
the current situation means you have to cut out more or investigate far
more than you should have to.

And Yes KDE dependencies being so coarse grained do really annoy me but
atleast KDE doesn't run by default.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)