Re: About a mass bug report not based on Sid or Jessie.

On 2014-04-16, Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> I would call that a serious design flaw.

The design "flaw" as I see it is that projects built using autotools can
be built on systems that hasn't got autotools installed.

The way to accomplish that is to have these giant autogenerated scripts.

Other build systems, like the one I know best, cmake, is needed on all
build systems in order to build packages.

It is one of the major design differences.

A "simple" way of fixing that design flaw is to just consider the .am /
.ac files as the sources to build from and run the relevant autotools
first, then configure, make, make install.

I don't see how you can get both the 'doesn't need autotools to build
the actual software' and 'updates everything on build' at the same time.

/Sune