Re: About a mass bug report not based on Sid or Jessie.

Le Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 05:25:47PM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 05:05:48PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> It's an interesting question whether we should just force dh-autoreconf
> >> in debhelper unless the package maintainer explicitly turns it off.  It
> >> would save me work, just as I've now been able to take overrides back
> >> out of all of my packages now that dpkg defaults to xz compression.
> >> But it would be disruptive, and some packages would definitely fail to
> >> build afterwards.
>
> > So arguably, such a behavior change should be tied to a debhelper compat
> > level change.
>
> Oh, hey, good point.  That would eliminate most of the disruption problem.
>
> > But I think we ought to switch to autoreconfing by default.
>
> Agreed, particularly given that we now have a good and fairly reliable
> tool for doing so.

Thanks everybody for your answers.

I invite people interested in new ports to work on that change: run autoreconf
by default.  The other approach, to run autoreconf only when needed, is
never-ending: new packages uploaded today build fine everywhere, but some of
them will need patching in the future.  Please break the circle !

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,