Re: Debian default desktop environment

On Sat, 2014-04-05 at 18:18 +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 07:57:50PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Could you please sum up those discussions and explain what kind of
> > changes you would consider to be productive?
>
> I can sum up the discussions that were had last time on debian-devel for
> you, at least as I remember them.
>
> * XFCE fits on one installation CD, which is relevant for those people
>   who have slow or expensive Internet access (which is many parts of the
>   developing world).  The older machines which may be more likely to be
>   in use in those areas may not have a DVD drive, or downloading 4 GB
>   for a DVD may be prohibitive in time or cost.
> * It works better on older and less powerful machines[0].

Those are good arguments for providing an Xfce CD - as we have done in
previous releases - but not that it should be the recommended
installation image in general.

[...]
> * There were concerns about accessibility support, "particularly for the
>   blind"[2].
[...]

Which is unfortunately quite bad in most free graphical desktop
environments.  Is it actually a strength of Xfce?  I didn't think it
was.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If you seem to know what you are doing, you'll be given more to do.