Re: Debian default desktop environment

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 23:52 +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> Wolodja Wentland <debian@babilen5.org> writes:
> > One thing I dislike about switching the default DE is that it puts a lot of
> > people active in support in a position in which they might not actually be as
> > familiar with the DE they will end up supporting most frequently simply by
> > having learned a different "default" one a few generations back. The
> > information flow from experienced users to new users is thereby slightly
> > hampered.
> Yes, because all that Gnome 2 experience is going to be so helpful when the
> poor sod at the other end of the phone is looking at a Gnome 3 desktop.

My knowledge of various GTK applications and their idioms actually helps in a
lot in this, but I simply wanted to make an argument against switching.

> Anyway, to return to the main point, I do wonder why nobody has bothered
> to mention that the reason for the switch was that Gnome no longer fits
> on CD#1.

[...]

> Actually, no, instead why don't you all check out the various threads on
> debian-boot where those arguments have failed to be persuasive, and then
> go and do something productive instead.

Exactly. Lets offer a netinstall with a sensible menu that allows the user =
to choose the DE (s)he wants plus the various CD1, [1GB, 2GB, 3GB] DVD1, BD1,
...  images for the different DEs as has been done for wheezy.

I am personally not convinced that having one unlabelled CD1 and a hard to
change preselection in the netinst is worth discussing the default DE every
other month and a very desirable goal in itself. And offering a choice does
not even prevent the expression of a preference or bias ("choose this if you
are unsure"). Neither do I think that being able to provide a single complete
CD image will be the most important factor in this discussion in the years to
come.

The interface somebody uses to interact with a computer is probably one of the
few examples in which a user actually wants to make a choice as preferences
are inherently subjective and far reaching. All I was arguing for is simply to
provide a little more information to enable the user to make this decision.
--
Wolodja <debian@babilen5.org>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC