Re: jquery debate with upstream

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Craig Small wrote:
> It means that the upstream have to hang onto some script they might of
> used once years ago for.. what reason?

No, that's not what it means. The whole point of requiring source is to
stop artificially inhibiting user's (and Debian's) ability to modify a
work for any purpose. If the script no longer exists, then the preferred
form for modification that actually exists is the source.

Requiring the vector file for bitmap graphics which were made from a
vector file is an example of enabling modifications of the work. It's
already normal to need vastly different resolutions of graphics for some
devices with high DPI screens, and it's not unusual for there to be
spelling errors or untranslated words in graphics which should be fixed,
either.

But then again, my feelings on this matter should be obvious, as I did
write https://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_004 after all...

Herodotus says, "Very few things happen at the right time, and the
rest do not happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct
these defects".
 -- Mark Twain _A Horse's Tail_