Re: jquery debate with upstrea

Hi,

On 2014-03-10 18:27, Joachim Breitner wrote:
I keep discussing the same issues caused by minified JS files (mostly
JQuery) in their source tarballs over and over. Could maybe those who
care deeply about this write a concise wiki page with all that upstream
needs to know about our expectations, so that I can point them to it?
That page should also point out the least effort required to satisfy us
(which, I believe, is downloading the corresponding source and dumping
it in the tarball).

Also, am I too pragmatic in suggesting that we should accept non-source
files in tarballs if they are legally distributed and not used during
the build (especially not included in the binary packages)? If we had
this I would neither have to bug upstream about their convenience copies
nor mess with tarball repackaging (which I consider ugly, a cludge, and
to be avoided if possible) and simply make sure in the packaging that I
use libjs-jquery instead of the included file.

as long as the code in question is not under a license that requires the full, non-minified source to be reproduced and if the copyright notices and license terms as potentially required by the license are present, I don't see why not. But I guess the latter is not commonly happening?

Kind regards
Philipp Kern