Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

previously on this list Matthias Urlichs contributed:

> > Kevin, I don't think you understand the reasoning behind this. Again,
> > the problem the init system has to solve here is being able to track a
> > process with a 100% accuracy, so whatever automated mechanisms you have
> > configured when certain situations occur, they have to find the correct
> > process to work on as to not kill the daemon instance you actually
> > still need.
> >
> … not to mention any other processes which the daemon started, which
> may or may not linger after its (grand)parent died, and which may or
> may not cause problems when restarting.

Never happened to me and shouldn't happen on a well designed service
that should be controlling it's children. If it does happen you should
be checking the system over anyway and possibly filing a bug.

The only time I've had zombies is on a desktop.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)