Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 17:39, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> There's of course dependencies in OpenRC. You have the choice: either
> you keep the LSB headers, either you write it the OpenRC way (IMO,
> prefered...). In OpenRC, you just use functions of the openrc-run
> "interpreter". For example:

Well, this is something I have been looking for...

If this can be made to work without the needed mumbo jumbo (see
below)... then it would solve the problem with migrating sysv-rc
scripts.

I have split openrc into openrc and openrc-sysv moving the conflicting
parts to openrc-sysv on my system, and it install just fine, but running
script with /sbin/openrc-run needs:

mkdir -p /run/openrc
touch /run/openrc/softlevel

and then it still doesn't work as expected:

root@howl:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/rsyslog start
 * WARNING: rsyslog is already starting

root@howl:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/rsyslog stop
 * ERROR: rsyslog stopped by something else

root@howl:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/rsyslog status
 * status: stopped

root@howl:/etc/init.d# ps uax | grep rsyslo[g]
root      6743  0.0  0.0  52592  1752 ?        Ssl  20:28   0:00
/usr/sbin/rsyslogd -n -c5
root      6764  0.0  0.0   7768   856 pts/0    S+   20:28   0:00 grep
rsyslog

Thomas, would it be possible to make openrc-run work even when the
openrc doesn't replace /etc/init.d/rc{,S}? Or does it need too much from
openrc infrastructure, so my idea is just too crazy?

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>
Knot DNS (https://www.knot-dns.cz/) – a high-performance DNS server