Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

Hey Ondřej,

Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> writes:

> I have split openrc into openrc and openrc-sysv moving the conflicting
> parts to openrc-sysv on my system, and it install just fine, but running
> script with /sbin/openrc-run needs:
>
> mkdir -p /run/openrc
> touch /run/openrc/softlevel
>
> and then it still doesn't work as expected:
>
> root@howl:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/rsyslog start
>  * WARNING: rsyslog is already starting
>
> root@howl:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/rsyslog stop
>  * ERROR: rsyslog stopped by something else
>
> root@howl:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/rsyslog status
>  * status: stopped

OpenRC needs a proper directory structure in /run/openrc to track the
status of services. It is handled by init.sh and friends, you may need
to hack that.

> root@howl:/etc/init.d# ps uax | grep rsyslo[g]
> root      6743  0.0  0.0  52592  1752 ?        Ssl  20:28   0:00
> /usr/sbin/rsyslogd -n -c5
> root      6764  0.0  0.0   7768   856 pts/0    S+   20:28   0:00 grep
> rsyslog
>
> Thomas, would it be possible to make openrc-run work even when the
> openrc doesn't replace /etc/init.d/rc{,S}?

sure.

> Or does it need too much from openrc infrastructure, so my idea is
> just too crazy?

No, it not crazy. I am running OpenRC to manage services on the clusters
where I have only normal user privilege, it's in parallel to sysv-rc
like system of RHEL5. You might look into the MKPREFIX build option.

And out of curiosity, what are you trying to achieve here?

Cheers,
Benda