Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

On 20/02/14 19:37, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> I have split openrc into openrc and openrc-sysv moving the conflicting
> parts to openrc-sysv on my system, and it install just fine

If sysv-rc's invoke-rc.d and update-rc.d should be treated as generic
glue shared by multiple inits (which they probably should, since they
already support all of sysv-rc/insserv, Upstart, systemd) then it might
make more sense to move them to sysvinit-utils, and include openrc
support in them there.

According to `apt-file search invoke-rc.d`, the only implementations of
invoke-rc.d or update-rc.d in Debian are sysv-rc, file-rc and openrc
(plus an update-rc.d in multistrap which I assume is some sort of
wrapper); systemd and Upstart both rely on the one from sysvinit.

file-rc appears to be basically dead, and hasn't been updated for
dependency-based boot. Upstart already has a hard dependency on sysv-rc.
Perhaps systemd (or at least systemd-sysv) should have that as well, or
Breaks: file-rc, or something, since I doubt file-rc's update-rc.d deals
with systemd units; systemd currently depends on initscripts, which
depends on sysv-rc|file-rc. I'll open a bug.