Re: Re: Upstart support for LSB headers (Two line init.d scripts? Sure, that will work!)

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 09:29:44PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 02:00:36PM +0400, Sergey B Kirpichev wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:19:24PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > Doesn't matter. rc.local is an interface that has been around since
> > > forever, and which is *meant* for local admins to use.
> >
> > But not to abuse this interface and use one in a wrong way.
>
> It's not abuse. It cannot be abuse!
>
> It is an interface that is meant for the local administrator to use. It
> is trivially easy to support, and many many _many_ local admins will use
> it for whatever they want to. And that's fine, because that is _exactly_
> what it's for.
>
> It is not Debian's place to decide what is the "right" or the "wrong"
> way for local administrators to use. Debian ships an empty rc.local
> file, and expects a local administrator to have fun using it.
>
> I will agree with you that bypassing the init script system and just
> dumping hundreds of lines in rc.local is a bad idea. But if a local
> administrator decides that this is what they want to use, then by all
> means they should use it.

And please do not break it, or you'll have hordes of sysadmins with torches
and pitchforks after you.

I for one tend to write a whole /etc/init.d/ script for a minor at-boot
task[1], but I'd join the lynch mob because I see it being used everywhere
and _I_ would have to fix some resulting breakage.

So whatever init system you ship, please execute rc.local, mm'kay?

[1]. With IIRC two exceptions.  One just to run "df >/dev/null", the reason
that's not a no-op involving a noisy disk and slow spin-up.

--
A tit a day keeps the vet away.