Re: Upstart support for LSB headers (Two line init.d scripts? Sure, that will work!)

previously on this list Sergey B Kirpichev contributed:

> Doesn't matter)  rc.local shouldn't be used by local
> admin to start services from.  Why not use usual init-script?

I wouldn't be surprised if rc.local has been around longer than Debian
and is meant to run at the end. Particularly for a service that isn't
packaged it may be useful and expected to run last. It seems perfectly
logical for a user to expect a "local" service or command to run last ie
as if a user did so after boot up. The special hurd case should run
after rc.local as a special case perhaps an include ./rc.local.oddball.

The arguments online of services should be shutdown gracefully in case
they have problems on the next bootup by upstart and systemd seems to
be nonsense.

On OpenBSD you have rc.shutdown but in any case if the system dies or
crashes, plug pulled etc., then services should start just fine on
reboot or be re-written rather than being flaky rubbish

In fact in that case "abusing" rc.local means a higher likelihood of
testing for and removing flaky services or fixing bugs before that
annoying time of things breaking which almost always happens at the
worst time possible.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)