Re: Re: Upstart support for LSB headers (Two line init.d scripts? Sure, that will work!)

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 02:00:36PM +0400, Sergey B Kirpichev wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:19:24PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > > Why you can't just write a regular init-script
> > > to start (and stop!) this service?  rc.local is not flexible to this.
> >
> > Doesn't matter. rc.local is an interface that has been around since
> > forever, and which is *meant* for local admins to use.
>
> But not to abuse this interface and use one in a wrong way.

It's not abuse. It cannot be abuse!

It is an interface that is meant for the local administrator to use. It
is trivially easy to support, and many many _many_ local admins will use
it for whatever they want to. And that's fine, because that is _exactly_
what it's for.

It is not Debian's place to decide what is the "right" or the "wrong"
way for local administrators to use. Debian ships an empty rc.local
file, and expects a local administrator to have fun using it.

I will agree with you that bypassing the init script system and just
dumping hundreds of lines in rc.local is a bad idea. But if a local
administrator decides that this is what they want to use, then by all
means they should use it.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/