Re: pulseaudio related problems....

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 05:25:13PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 17 février 2014 à 13:24 +0000, Wookey a écrit :
> > The main complaint in this thread seems to be 'my sound worked with
> > ALSA, but installing PA stopped/stops it working'. It seems to me that
> > PA should try very hard to make sure that whatever output ALSA was using
> > before is still used when PA is installed. Is there really no way to
> > determine what that was? Somewhere else in this thread someone said 'if
> > you have a .asound file then you will lose'. That seems harsh - why
> > cannot the config in that be used to ensure PA outputs to whatever is
> > 'currently configured'?  Shouldn't the presence of such config _help_
> > make it find the right output and levels?
>
> Trying to guess what ALSA did and parsing ALSA configuration files
> (which can be extremely complex) doesn’t sound like a recipe to write
> reliable software.

ALSA did it, and ALSA pretty reliably works for me.

Yes, that's a bit tongue-in-cheek. But to say that "this is difficult,
we should therefore not even try" is stupid. Maybe a better way would be
to help the ALSA developers write a way to help parse configuration
files?

Oh wait.

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/group___config.html

Right.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/