Re: Re: Upstart support for LSB headers (Two line init.d scripts? Sure, that will work!)

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 03:28:30PM +0400, Sergey B Kirpichev wrote:
> Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk>:
> >> Doesn't matter)  rc.local shouldn't be used by local
> >> admin to start services from.  Why not use usual init-script?
> >
> > I wouldn't be surprised if rc.local has been around longer than Debian
> > and is meant to run at the end. Particularly for a service that isn't
> > packaged it may be useful and expected to run last.
>
> Why you can't just write a regular init-script
> to start (and stop!) this service?  rc.local is not flexible to this.

Doesn't matter. rc.local is an interface that has been around since
forever, and which is *meant* for local admins to use.

Whether it is flexible or not may be true, but is irrelevant for this
discussion. No, we should not depend on it for Debian; but we should
provide the interface for system administrators who wish to use it,
because it is not Debian's place to tell them that they cannot use that
interface.

of course, if it would be difficult to provide rc.local functionality in
a given init system, then that would be a different matter entirely, in
which case it might make sense to stop providing rc.local functionality;
but I doubt that is the case, since rc.local is just a script, and
calling it when everything else has been started should be ridiculously
easy in any init system.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/