Re: pulseaudio related problems....

> The primary (and AFAIR only) cause of no sound with PulseAudio that I
> have encountered is that it doesnt know whether you want to hear sound
> over the HDMI output or over the jack. Both appear to the system as two
> different devices. So PA just selects one (I havent investigated how it
> does the choice) and often gets it wrong.

I actually have a device where PA selects the wrong one and apparently
does not know how to select the other one.
It's an USB stick marked TerraTec (0ccd:0077) which has a combined
TOSlink/analog jack output and allows to switch between those two
modes. No matter what I select in pavucontrol, I always get a red
light and no electronic signal out of that jack. It works in plain
ALSA.

(Did not file a bug yet because the machine runs an ancient Ubuntu
LTS, will have to check a newer one.)

Olaf