Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

On 02/18/2014 11:38 PM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Le mardi, 18 février 2014, 22.55:32 Thomas Goirand a écrit :
>> Once I consider OpenRC ready for it, would it be ok to just replace
>> sysv-rc by OpenRC, and transform sysv-rc into a transitional package?
>> What is the opinion of other DDs? Is there anyone which would like to
>> keep the old featureless sysv-rc?
>
> I think we should focus on one init system change at a time.
>
> Having the good-old sysvinit setup still working in a satisfactory
> manner is nice while preparing Jessie: that's what Wheezy has and
> therefore has to be supported to upgrade to Jessie (think partial
> upgrades, full-upgrade-not-rebooted-yet, etc etc). When testing crazy
> stuff with systemd, I know I can always fallback to sysvinit if I broke
> any .socket or .service unit I'm working on. It will be slower and feel
> old, but would most certainly boot and provide me with comfortable ways
> to debug. If that was changed to OpenRC, we'd exchange the sysvinit
> safety net that all got to know in exchange for a brand new safety net
> that we don't really know yet.
>
> Moving to OpenRC as the secondary init for Jessie looks like changing
> the two wheels of a bike at the same time. I'd widely prefer to keep
> sysvinit (as old it might feel) for Jessie, especially as transition
> point from Wheezy and have these discussions again after Jessie is
> released.
>
> That shouldn't stop you from providing the best OpenRC integration in
> Debian, be it for the ports or in preparation for jessie+1.
>
> Cheers,
> OdyX

Actually, thinking about it a 2nd time, I think there would be a major
drawback in delaying to Jessie +1. If we decide that sysv-rc goes away,
then starting at the Jessie release, we don't have to care anymore about
LSB header scripts. Meaning that we could write systemd service files,
plus OpenRC runscripts (for those who cares about OpenRC, or our
non-linux ports).

If we delay it, this means that we'd have to keep maintaining LSB header
scripts in Sid for all the life of Jessie (for those who cares about
non-linux ports or having OpenRC / sysv-rc support).

Thoughts anyone?

Thomas