Re: FFmpeg vs. libav packaging (was Re: Proposal: SystemD.pushers/forcers, et cetera)

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 06:46:37PM +0100, Fabian Greffrath wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 13.02.2014, 21:37 +0200 schrieb Adrian Bunk:
> > Are you as Debian Multimedia Maintainer willing to discuss which option
> > (libav, FFmpeg, some solution of shipping both) will be best for jessie
> > based on the information that is available today?
>
> Honestly, I don't think it is feasable to have both in Debian as long as
> the libraries occupy the same name space[*]. But this is something that
> has to get sorted out upstream before. And as long as both projects
> believe they are "the real thing" I don't see that happen.

I agree with you on that, and I was telling people in the RFP who wanted
to add the FFmpeg libraries additionally to the libav libraries that
this would be insane.

And it's also the reason why Jonas' demand that FFmpeg should first have
to enter testing alongside libav is so absurd.

But how to make the decision whether libav or FFmpeg is better for jessie?

My suggestion in the RFP was that the people who want FFmpeg should go
to the TC, since the TC is an objective instance not involved in the
upstream quarrel.

> - Fabian

cu
Adrian