Re: FFmpeg vs. libav packaging

Fabian Greffrath <fabian@greffrath.com> writes:
> Am Donnerstag, den 13.02.2014, 21:37 +0200 schrieb Adrian Bunk:

>> Are you as Debian Multimedia Maintainer willing to discuss which option
>> (libav, FFmpeg, some solution of shipping both) will be best for jessie
>> based on the information that is available today?

> Honestly, I don't think it is feasable to have both in Debian as long as
> the libraries occupy the same name space[*]. But this is something that
> has to get sorted out upstream before. And as long as both projects
> believe they are "the real thing" I don't see that happen.

I don't have an informed opinion about whether it would be a good idea,
and would defer to the security team in their judgement that it's not, but
just for the record, it's feasible to handle this sort of thing in Debian
as long as the SONAMEs are different, even if the library names are the
same.  Those of us in the Kerberos community have been doing so for years.
Both Heimdal and MIT Kerberos provide a libkrb5.

See heimdal-multidev and krb5-multidev for part of the machinery for how
this is handled, and see my libpam-krb5 source package for an example of a
package that's built against both libraries.  Another example is the Cyrus
SASL GSS-API plugin.