Re: Proposal: remove krb5-appl (rlogin, rsh, telnet, ftp with krb5 support)

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:23:01AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> On 29 January 2014 07:11, Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I plan to request removal.
> > If there's a debian developer who thinks I'm making the wrong call they
> > should feel free to turn my removal request into a request to  adopt the
> > package.
> >

> It has been suggested that we should plan to do the similar thing to
> Heimdal at about the same time. To avoid the possibility that people who
> used these programs move to Heimdal, and then get annoyed if we do the same
> thing at a later stage.
>
> Heimdal has a bigger list of programs that will be affected:
>
> So I propose that we completely remove the following packages:
>
> heimdal-clients-x (contains xnlock, kx, tenletxr, rxtelnet, rxterm)
> heimdal-servers-x (contains kxd)
> heimdal-servers (this isn't kdc, but contains rshd, login, ftpd, telnetd,
> popper, kfd)
Don't we want kf/kfd?

> >From the following packages I propose we remove the following programs:
> heimdal-clients - ktelnet, kftp, krcp, kf, krsh
> * there are several others here I am not convinced should keep, e.g. otp
> and otpprint, which has nothing to do with Kerberos. I imagine there are
> far better facilities in Debian for OTP in other packages.
> * some of the programs in heimdal-clients I don't know what they do off
> hand, would need to double check these.

I think we should also remove:

- pfrom ("fetch a list of the current mail via POP")
- push ("fetch mail via POP").

I'm somewhat surprised the name "push" never clashed with anything
else. Further, I have no idea why it would be living in /usr/sbin.

The following three are generic utilities, not particularly specific
to Kerberos:

/usr/bin/otp
/usr/bin/otpprint
/usr/bin/string2key