Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

Op 25-10-13 14:45, Adam Sampson schreef:
> Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>> We *could* just drop all the CD sets and be done with it, just keeping
>> the netinst CD and the DVDs. Is that what people really want?
> As a longtime Debian user, that would suit me fine -- I've not done a
> Debian installation using anything other than netinst (or debootstrap)
> in years.
> I'd be interested to know what the use cases for the full stack of CDs
> currently are...

The last time I used the full stack of CDs where there was no decent
alternative option was when I was helping a customer prepare a set of
installation instructions for a code escrow situation.

Since one of the requirements there was the ability to produce a 100%
bit-for-bit equal system, anything that used "download the current
version from the Internet" was out -- we had to provide actual media
(CDs, at the time).

That was over five years ago, though. Today, I doubt I'd still try to
use CDs, probably at least DVDs instead.

Having said that, I do think that providing a limited number of CD
install images is useful for those cases of retrocomputing where
installing off DVD is difficult. Other than that...

This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/