Re: Fwd: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 07:51 -0700, Andrew Kane wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 13:31 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > > ...I've been
> > > told multiple times that we still have a non-negligible set of users
> > > owning/running hardware that can't do DVDs.
> >
> > The set of hardware which can't boot from DVDs *or* boot from a USB
> > stick must surely be pretty tiny. (AIUI it is the DVD ISOs which can be
> > thrown onto a stick, so throwing away CDs wont hurt that)
> >
> > Add in "or boot from network" and it must be a minuscule set.
> >
> As someone who deals with a lot of random donated hardware, I can
> attest that we run into these cases frequently.

Interesting data point, thanks. hat sort of vintage of random hardware
are you seeing?

Do these systems have NICs but not PXE support? Could something like
http://etherboot.org/wiki/isolinux be useful to boot such a system from
CDROM to kick off a network boot?

Ian